Thu, 21-Jun-2018, 19:49
Thu, 21-Jun-2018, 19:49

Middle East

Picture Picture Gallery Related Video
Airlines to board nationals barred under US Muslim ban

Airlines to board nationals barred under US Muslim ban

The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency has issued an advisory to airlines allowing them to board passengers from previously barred Muslim-majority countries after a US judge temporarily halted a controversial travel ban.

The decision was taken after Seattle District Judge James Robart announced a temporary suspension of President Donald Trump's week-old executive order temporarily barring refugees and nationals from seven countries from entering the US.

Spokespersons for Qatar Airways and US-based United Airlines confirmed to Al Jazeera that they will board all passengers with valid travel documents that are affected by the order after receiving an advisory to do so from the CBP.

"As directed by the US Customs and Border Protection, nationals of the seven affected countries listed below and all refugees seeking admission presenting a valid, unexpired US visa or [green card] will be permitted to travel to the United States and will be processed accordingly upon arrival," read a travel alert posted on Qatar Airways' website.

Al Jazeera's Dorsa Jabbari, reporting from Tehran, said all airlines flying from Tehran to the US on Saturday would board Iranian nationals with valid visas.

The judge's temporary restraining order represents a major challenge to Trump's action, although his administration could still appeal the ruling and have the policy upheld.

It comes on the heals of a week's worth of spontaneous protests at airports across the country.

The US state department said it is working with the Department of Homeland Security to work out how Friday's ruling affects its operations, and will announce any changes affecting travellers as soon as information is available.

The White House said it would file an appeal as soon as possible.

"At the earliest possible time, the Department of Justice intends to file an emergency stay of this outrageous order and defend the executive order of the president, which we believe is lawful and appropriate," the White House said in a statement. A revised statement released later omitted the word "outrageous".

Comment(s)